02 April 2013

The End!

I wrote most of this in December, but I never got round to getting these photos done. Then Christmas happened, then I got distracted by my new camera, then Spring didn’t happen, then I realised it’s been ONE YEAR since my operation, so I thought I’d better get this post published.

It might have taken a REALLY long time, but it was definitely worth it.


Feb 2008, before everything happened.

 
April 2012, after the braces had done what they could, and the day before the operation

 
April 2013, a year after the operation

Before bimaxillary osteotomy surgery After bimaxillary osteotomy surgery

The lower-right bit of my lip is still numb, but I’m used to it now. Somehow I don’t think it’s going to get much better any time soon… I can’t whistle either. But on the positive side it’s only a small part of my lip with no feeling, the swelling after the operation went down pretty quickly, and I’m really pleased with the final result.

clear plastic retainers

I got these retainers on Tuesday. Yep, I can’t see them either. They’re really easy to lose, and with a replacement fee of £63 each, I don’t want to misplace them. I have to wear them every night forever, probably. Lots of my friends have been saying they regretted stopping wearing them, so I’ll do my best to keep wearing them for years to come (until they disintegrate).

John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford

I hope never to come back here again, although I will because I’ll need a check-up in a couple of months.

Using orthodontic elastics as cable ties

I have so many elastics left over now, but I’ve found a good use for them – they act as fantastic cable ties. Now what was once a huge clump of spaghetti in my man-drawer is now lots of small spaghetti clumps.

Shark from London aquarium

I’ll leave with this photo: if your teeth look like this, you should probably get braces.

No comments:

Post a Comment